1. What High Point restaurant is a must while we're in town?
Sumela on Main Street is great—healthy and lots of vegetarian options on the menu. It's also friendly and always a lively spot.
2. Which room in your house did you repaint most recently, and in what color?
I painted a bedroom a medium charcoal gray. The room has a menswear look, with a simple gray-and-white monochromatic color scheme. We usually have male guests in that room, visiting [while working] long hours, and I wanted a restful quality—and somewhat of a man-cave feel.
3. One of our favorite spaces in your showroom is the Paris apartment. What sources did you draw inspiration from for this room?
The sensibility for Paris decorating has always been to express the artistic with collections of objects in harmony in an undecorated look. I chose this bold and bohemian style with a vintage flair, which speaks to centuries of an artistic Parisian lifestyle. My colors are vibrant and complex—plums and deep pinks; clear whites with art; and black-and-white photos everywhere.
4. What album is playing at the Lillian August offices right now?
Madeline Peyroux's The Blue Room album is a favorite for any background sounds.
5. Do you have a post-Market ritual to wind down from the hectic week?
Florida is home for me, and I will return there mid-May. Just enjoying a book on the lanai and catching the sun rays shining on our beautiful bougainvillea vines is enough to refresh the body and spirit from Market exhaustion.
By Catherine Dash on April 25, 2013